Writing Goals/ Vocabulary

Goals

1.) Using Syntactic Devices to score higher in idea development and content

2.) Improving my conclusions in essays by using a reflection technique

3.) Posting at least one poetry piece on my blog each month, wither to be graded , or just for fun

4.) Making sure that my next writing piece is error free and is proof read by more than one person.


Vocab

-Ornate- Elaborate, kind of complicated
-Deft- skillful, handy or clever. deft hands; a deft mechanic.
-Addle- to confuse
-Contrive- to affect, plot, or imitate
-Ease- free of pain
-Aghast- horrified, dumbfounded
Dictionary



Monday, November 22, 2010

I am Thankful for Today

Author's Note: This piece was not to strengthen my writing or to write out my feelings. In two days it is Thanksgiving, and this, I believe is the least celebrated holiday. Smell the air. What do you smell? Happiness....at school!
.
Although the aunts are working their hardest to get the turkey golden and plump, no one notices. As I watch their struggling effort from the stool across the kitchen, I listen. All around me is laughter, screaming, and singing from children of all ages. Although the house is small, we all fit. In the small bedroom in outside the front door, there is frost covering the windows. Snow has finally arrived, but no one notices. The older kids hang out here. There is a computer, a television, and a comfortable sitting area, but no one notices. We sit on the floor. We talk, we laugh, we throw things at each other. You are never left out. Being too young to be classified as a little kid, I stay in this room. I am welcomed. Grandma rings the bell, even though by now we are all sitting around the orange and gold table anyway. Then, our feast arrives. The highlight of the night. Turkey, chicken, and stuffing are traditional, and necessary. They arrive first. Then, come potatoes, cherry marshmallow salad, and rolls. We eat more than what is good for us, but no one notices. When the adults finish their meal, and we have thrown all of our food at each other, we stand. We try and form a circle, but this attempt is usually unsuccessful. Finally, we pray. We go around the circle saying what we are thankful for. I hear lots of "Family," and "Health." I also hear "Hippo's," and "Pokémon!" As I wait for my turn, I think hard. Mason speaks before I do, and Emma is waiting for her turn, which comes after mine. I am ready. I speak loud and clear, telling my relatives what I am thankful for. I hope I don't get made fun of, as I scan the room waiting for feedback. After all, my response was kind of cheesy. But I get applause, because it is the reason why we are here. I see smiles, and finally I give one back. Everyone notices.



Happy Thanksgiving!

3 comments:

  1. I think you really described Thanksgiving well they you kept on saying that nobody notices the little things, your just happy to be with your family. I thought it was well written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you smell happiness? Also, I think that you painted a picture in my mind. I really smelt the turkey, it is a sad turkey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!! I thought this was really good!! I really liked how you repeated the words "nobody notices" and then at the end you say "Everybody Notices" when you tell what Thanksgiving is really about. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete